Sunday, October 19, 2008

Generation Next: Ramses Barden

By JOSH BUCHANAN

Barden Accepts Postseason Invite
For the fourth time in five years, Cal Poly will be represented in the East-West Shrine Game. Mustang senior wide receiver Ramses Barden has accepted an invitation to play in the 84th annual college all-star football event on January 17, 2009, in Houston, Texas. Kickoff will be 1 p.m. PST, and the game will be televised nationally on ESPN2. Barden (6-6, 227, Altadena, CA) has caught 28 passes for 626 yards and seven touchdowns in four games so far for Cal Poly this season. His average of 22.4 yards per catch is third in the nation while his 156.5 receiving yards per game is No. 1.


CFI: What are your current height, weight and workout numbers?

BARDEN: My bench reps max is 18 or 19 reps in 2007. My max squat is probably 405. My vertical is probably 32 1/2 or 33 inches. I imagine after training I could do a 35 or 36.

CFI: What is your favorite route?

BARDEN: My favorite is a traditional post where you break it 12-15 yards and just aim for pylon. We have the triple option so we don’t do that.

CFI: What do you feel are your strengths?

BARDEN: My strengths are that I feel I have the best hands and not saying it to be cocky, but that is my mentality on the field. I feel I use my body well. I understand spacing and positioning on the field. I feel like I have been trained to play the game with great effort…releases off the line of scrimmage and I am strong with the ball after I have it in my hands. I want to fight for extra yards. Great concentration and coachable. I am always eager to learn and I love competing. My attitude on the field is that of a leader.

CFI: Who is the best player you have faced in your career?

BARDEN: I played against Leodis McKelvin of Troy. Not saying he was the best but just thinking of someone I played with NFL talent. I like Dwight Lowery’s ability as far as catching the ball and being patient.

CFI: What is your major and GPA?

BARDEN: Business Administration with concentration in marketing. My GPA is 3.2.

CFI: What are your future goals?

BARDEN:
Obviously as much as I can accomplish professionally and I was excited about the attention Dominique Rogers Cromartie got. It showed small school guys can do it. I have considered owning my own business but one thing I want to do is find a way to participate in the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. It is a great way to learn and develop friendships and get involved in sports. Because it was a staple in my life I want to be a part of improving it or owning one and it would be my way of giving back. I feel like I received a lot of help so I want to do that.

Photo Credit: Matt Brown Photography

0 Comments: