Sunday, October 12, 2008

Generation Next: Nathan Brown


By JOSH BUCHANAN - SMALL SCHOOL INSIDER

Nathan Brown threw for 367 yards—including three passes for scores—to lead Central Arkansas to a 38-14 victory Thursday night over Division II Henderson State. Through the first five games, Brown has completed 71 percent of his passes for 1,458 passing yards, 14 touchdowns and zero interceptions.

CFI:
What are your current height, weight and workout numbers?

BROWN: I am 6’1 1/2, pro day weight was 210 but I am sitting at about 214 right now. My forty-time hasn’t been timed since my red-shirt freshman year but I would say it is a 4.8 to mid-4.9 probably. My bench press is 17 reps of 225 and my vertical is about 30 inches last time we tested it.

CFI: What do you feel are your strengths and weaknesses?

BROWN: I think that my biggest weakness is in a game when we are down by a couple of touchdowns I try to force some throws that I wouldn’t normally try to throw. I have to learn to be patient and know that I am not going to get all the points back with one throw. I think that my arm strength is well above average. I have been able to make every throw that my coaches have asked me to in college. My best strength is just leadership. I try to do things right on and off the field so I can gain the respect of my teammates. I know with my position comes leadership so I try my hardest to be the best I can be in this area.

CFI:
What is your favorite route to throw?

BROWN: I like throwing the 16-yard comeback to an outside receiver.

CFI: Who is the best player you have faced in your career?

BROWN: Probably Peyton Hillis in high school.

CFI: What are your goals for this year?

BROWN: Team goal is winning the Southland Conference and to finish in the top 25 as a team. Personal goals are that I want to make everybody around me better and do what I have to do. As far as numbers, I just want to top what I did last year. I would like to throw for around 3,500 yards and close to 30 touchdowns and keep my interceptions in single digits.

CFI:
What are your future goals?

BROWN:
If I get the opportunity I would love to pursue football professionally. That is going to be what I push for, to be an NFL football player. If that doesn’t work out, I will fall back on my degree and go back to my high school coaching. That is what I know and what I love. I just want to be a part of it somehow and some way.

Photo Credit: Southland Conference

0 Comments: