Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Q&A: Aaron Maybin, Penn St. - Walter Camp On Location

Penn St. All-American Aaron Maybin sits down with All-Access Football Radio
at the Yale University Commons in New Haven prior to the Walter Camp 42nd Annual National Awards Diner on January 17, 2009.


You had a break out season, what does it mean to be a Walter Camp All-American?

Maybin:
It means a whole lot. It’s been a good year and a good career. I’ve really enjoyed myself at this wonderful event. I’ve had a chance to meet a whole lot of people and make some good connections, so overall it’s been a very good experience.

How tough of a decision was it to declare for the draft?

Maybin:
It was a very tough decision. I had to do a lot of praying and consulting with my family and people who were very close to the situation who gave me a pretty good description of where I would go in the draft. It was probably one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever had to make, but I think in the end I was able to make a very smart decision – the best decision for me and my family.

What are you hearing from the people in the league, what type of grade are you hearing from them?

Maybin:
I haven’t really disclosed what that grade was. But it was something that definitely I felt was too good of an opportunity to pass up. Of course nothing is guaranteed in this league, but it was something that gave me the confidence to make sure that this was a good decision for me.

It was good enough for you to make the decision, so it was a positive one?

Maybin:
Very positive.

Did you talk to your teammate Maurice Evans about declaring for the draft?

Maybin:
I tried to really stay out of his process as much as possible so that he could make a very sound decision for himself, but I tried to talk to him as much as I could just to lend support and provide a support system for him if he needed any help gathering information or just talking to certain people to make sure he made the right decision for himself.

Did you speak to former Penn State corner Justin King who declared last season or any other guys in the league about coming out early?

Maybin:
Yeah I basically talked to as many guys that were at Penn State that have gone on to the league as possible and really talked to them about their experiences; what the highs and lows were and what were some of the good things and bad things they encountered during their time. It really helped me out a lot as far as making my decision.

If you were sitting down with an NFL scout or GM and they wanted to know what you could bring to their team, what would you say?

Maybin:
They’re going to get a tireless worker. They’re going to get somebody that will come in every day and bust my butt for their team. I’m going to bring my hard hat to work and going to work extremely hard; I’m a guy that plays with everything I have inside me and it’s something that has been in me since I started playing the game. I absolutely love the game and I am very passionate about it. That’s just something I play with; it’s something that was instilled in me when I was younger. So they are going to get somebody that is going to give 110 percent of everything that he has to that program and is going to do anything possible to make sure that he helps to bring a lot of victories and a lot of success.

Have you selected an agent yet and have you started the workout process?

Maybin:
I have started the workout process; I haven’t yet declared who my agent is going to be. I’m still in the process of narrowing some things down with that. But right now, as far as my mindset, I’m training, working out several times a day at a spot in Pennsylvania. I’m really getting the most out of my workouts; everything has been going extremely well and I’m very pleased with the progress I’ve made so far. Really I’m just waking up every day trying to get better, trying to learn as much as possible, and trying to make sure by the time the draft comes around I’m prepared to bring everything the team needs to the table that looks to draft me.

What’s something that you look to work on the most? In terms of becoming a better football player and preparing for the combine.

Maybin:
I’m preparing for the combine, preparing to make sure that I turn in an all around performance, something that opens up a lot of eyes and proves to everybody that I’m the type of player that a team would want to spend a high draft pick on. Overall, I’m just trying to make sure that I’m as complete a player as I can be. I want to make sure I leave no doubt and make sure that everybody that has a chance to watch me, whether that be on film or in person at my workouts, that they’re confident that I’m the type of player that can really help turn a franchise around.

Any sneak peak as to what kind of measurables you can put up, what kind of vertical, 40 time, or bench press?

Maybin:
Not going to get that out of me. It’s going to be a big surprise, but I’m going to say this – I’m working really hard and I’m looking to open up a whole lot of eyes with the performance I put out.

Tell me what it's like to play for Joe Paterno.

Maybin:
It’s been a wonderful experience. Joe is the type of guy where everyday you’re learning something. He’s the type of guy that has helped to shape me as a man and as a player, and he teaches you a lot and he really helps to build you up as a man and a guy in society where you can really be successful in any and every endeavor that you pursue. I’m really thankful to Joe for the lessons he’s taught me and the type of man he’s helped to make me into.

What do you like to do in your off time?

Maybin:
I really enjoy relaxing and spending time with my family. I enjoy going to the movies and sitting down and working on some artwork because I do have the artistic bug in me.

What is your favorite movie?

Maybin:
My favorite movie of all time would have to be Gladiator.

What type of artist are you?

Maybin:
I’m into painting and drawing. Pretty much anything that catches my eye I like to pursue and just try to fine tune my skills a little.

If you do put up a stellar performance at the combine I want you to look up to the scouts and say, “Are you not entertained?”

Maybin:
(Laughs)

Can you do that for us?

Maybin:
I can definitely do that for you…

Photo Credit: College Press Box (Penn St.)

0 Comments: