Saturday, November 1, 2008

CFI Q & A of the Week: Eric Berry, Tennessee

Eric Berry, aka the fifth dimension, is the stellar second year safety for the Tennessee Volunteers.

CFI: Tell us about playing safety?

BERRY:
I really didn’t play corner any time during my life until the Army All-American game. I grew up as a safety and when they moved me to safety up here, I felt like I was at home. It was just a matter of me learning the schemes and the plays. I just love to play this game. I play it passionately, play every play full speed.

CFI: You already set the SEC all-time record for interception return yards. Talk about going from defense to offense so seamlessly.

BERRY: I’ve played offense all my life. This is the first time I’ve played strictly defense. When the ball gets in my hands, it’s a flashback of me being on offense and making plays. I guess you could say I have a split personality on the field. I just want to find a way to help my team win.

CFI: How about Tennessee potentially installing the “Wild Berry” formation?

BERRY:
When that time comes and Coach (Phillip Fulmer) feels I’m ready for it, he’ll call my number. Until then, I’m going to focus on defense and try to get things right on the defense.

CFI: Isn’t playing offense something you’d love to do?

BERRY: Yes it is, but even if I don’t, I’m still satisfied just playing defense.

CFI: What do you do to pass the time off the field?

BERRY: We always have a Madden competition throughout the week. I’m currently on top right now. I had a ten-game winning streak until Savion (Frazier) broke it earlier this week. His profile on the game is “14-Sucks” (laughs). We’ve been going head-to-head battling on the Madden.

CFI: What kind of safeties do you like?

BERRY: I like safeties like Bob Sanders, who can do a little bit of covering, a little bit of blitzing, a little bit of hard hitting…everything. I just like ballplayers.

CFI: How many friends do you have on your Facebook page?

BERRY:
I just added around 430 today, so it has to be around 7,000 right now.

0 Comments: