Thursday, March 5, 2009

Q&A: LB Wesley Woodyard, Denver Broncos

Transcription from Wesley Woodyard's appearance on All Access Football Radio's Football Friday Show with Daniel Mogollon, Ralph Mancini and Rodney Towe on February 20, 2009.

We have been talking about the combine and a lot of the different drills that guys do. You made our all-NFL combine team last year because you showed good speed, explosiveness in your broad jump, good quickness with your shuttle time, and you also showed the ability to maintain speed with your 60-yard shuttle. Talk about the different drills...

Woodyard:
The 40 (yard dash) is the biggest drill of the combine, but to me, one of the most important drills is the L-drill, because that shows your change-of-direction speed and how fast you can pick up your speed. To me, that is one of the most important ones there.

What was the combine experience like as a whole? Was it kind of surreal? I mean, you check in and weigh in, then they measure you, you get poked and prodded by doctors, you get on the field and run, you take a psychology test, you interview with teams...was it a whirlwind experience?

Woodyard:
It was kind of overwhelming. When we first got down to Indy we immediately went over to the doctors, spent a few hours over there, then we came back and had meetings with the coaches. To a lot of players, we weren’t really expecting all of that to happen so fast. It was strictly business from the time we got there to the time we left.

Did you have any fun, or was it all business, all the time ?

Woodyard:
The only fun we had was competing against the other linebackers. To me, that was the most fun. Anytime I get a chance to compete and do something with football I have a lot of fun. One of my training partners was up there, Jerod Mayo. We trained together to prepare for the combine, so we were competing at everything we did. I had a lot of fun just seeing the other linebackers and competing against them.

Fast forward to the NFL. Your first pre-season game for the The Denver Broncos-walk us through what you were experiencing in your first game, your first NFL experience...what was going through your mind, and what really shocked you or amazed you?

Woodyard:
The first time I got a chance to go in, some of the vets came up and told me, “let’s go youngster, it’s your time to show everybody what you can do.” The first play I got on the field, I ran down on the kickoff, busted the wedge, and made a tackle. I was like, “Wow, I’m really getting a chance to play in the NFL!” It really didn’t sink in until the next week, the next game. Just getting a chance to go out there, it meant a whole lot to me.

The NFL is called the “Not For Long” league sometimes, for a reason. As a 2nd-year player who made a very positive impact-especially given that you were an undrafted free agent-what is your mindset going into your second season, now that you have a season under your belt?

Woodyard:
My mindset is the same as it was coming in as an undrafted rookie. I still have a lot to prove. I would like to get credit for a whole season starting in the NFL. It is deemed “Not For Long” sometimes, but that’s due to injuries and some people just not having a chance to make it out onto the football field. My mindset is to go out there and compete in the summer camp just like I don’t have a shot at making the team, so I am just going to give it my all every time I’m out there.

You’ve been around the NFL for a year now-is it more physically demanding or more mentally demanding? Do you have to do more work in the film room, or is it more physically demanding for you?

Woodyard:
To me it is a combination of both, but I can say I spent a lot more time watching film this year than I did in college. I watched a lot of film in college, but when you are getting ready to play against some of the best coaches and players the game has ever seen, you have to make sure you are at your best and you have to understand what they can do. I would say we spend more time watching film than I have ever done in my life.

As you mentioned, you were an undrafted guy last year. We were all pretty surprised when your name didn’t get called that weekend-what was your reaction and how quickly were you able to bounce back and say, “Hey, I have to put that behind me and focus on making happen what I can make happen.”?

Woodyard:
It was a big shock to me that I didn’t get drafted, but right after the draft the thing that got me...Coach Shanahan called me. He didn’t call me once, he called me twice to make sure that I understood everything was for real . When I went up there I realized that God gave me another chance to play football and I am the type of guy that loves to compete. Anytime I get a chance to compete and I can show my skills, I’m going to give it my all and make sure I turn some heads.

When your name wasn’t called in the first six rounds, are you hoping you won't be drafted? If you go undrafted, you have a certain degree of control over where you can go-were you getting calls from other teams trying to get you to go to their team?

Woodyard:
That was one of the things when it gets late, everybody wants to hear their name called. But once you’re in those later rounds, it's better that you go undrafted because you get a chance to choose a team that doesn’t have a lot of depth at your position, or one that really didn’t draft anyone at your position. For me it, came down to two teams-the Broncos and the Chiefs. I looked at the Broncos' roster and figured I had a better chance to make the team there and I had a better chance at showing myself on the football field early.

Can you give us the highlight of your rookie season? You had a strong second half of the season. I believe you had three games with ten tackles in a game and please, before you answer, you're talking to three Jet fans here, so don’t tell us it was coming to the Meadowlands and beating the Jets.

Woodyard:
(Laughs) I don’t want to say beating Brett Favre wouldn’t be one of them. I’ll just hold that one down as the second one, but I would have to say when we were playing the Atlanta Falcons. The week before the game, my special teams coach was taking me out for the special teams and I told him I could still play special teams, you don’t have to take me out. He told me when we need to put our guys in there, you’re going to be in there. He called on me to go make a special teams play to seal the victory on the kickoff . He put me in the game and it was funny, it was kind of crazy how all the veterans were looking for me to make plays, so I just ran down the field, made a tackle, and gave Atlanta bad field position going into their final drive.

You brought up coach Shanahan. How shocked were you when you heard that he was no longer going to be the coach?

Woodyard:
Everybody was really shocked. It was something that no one really expected. Things happen for a reason. I think everybody’s pretty excited to get back to Denver and get a chance to workout with their teammates and meet the new coaching staff.

Talk about your coaching staff. I understand your defensive coordinator is Mike Nolan who formerly coached the San Francisco 49ers, what are your first impressions of the defensive coordinator? Also, we understand that Denver has released a number of players, so they are looking to revamp this defense. What are your impressions of the new coaching staff and what lies ahead for this defense?

Woodyard:
I actually got a chance to play for Coach Nolan down at the Senior Bowl. He was a guy that demanded intensity and respect from everybody. He seemed like he was a very knowledgeable coach who loves the game of football. I think if you are going to be a defensive coach, you have to have that fire and he definitely has that fire.

You mentioned the intensity of a defensive coach. If I remember correctly, you were coached by Mike Singletary at the Senior Bowl as well and I don’t think there many more intense coaches than him. Can you talk about playing for him, even though it was only a couple of days, what was that like?

Woodyard:
That was amazing. The first time I saw him, I felt like a little kid. My mouth dropped open. I ran up to him and introduced myself. His intensity and passion for the game...you just have to respect that. Just being around him made me want to come to practice every day and work hard, just so that I didn’t disappoint him. He was one of the great linebackers of the NFL and you just had to show respect every time you were around him.

It's time for "three and out". First down: Mixed martial arts or boxing?

Woodyard:
Boxing.

Second down: Your favorite superhero of all time?

Woodyard:
The Incredible Hulk. His characteristics remind me of a linebacker's.

Third down: What was your first big purchase when you got that NFL contract?

Woodyard:
I paid out some bills for my mom. I like to see my mom happy, so I helped my mom out.

0 Comments: