Saturday, December 26, 2009

Breaking News: Meyer To Step Down

According to ESPN, Florida's Urban Meyer is stepping down as the school's head football coach. Meyer is in his fifth season as the Gators' head man, with a record of 56-10 during that span. He has led Florida to a pair of BCS and SEC Championships as well.

In a release, this is what Meyer had to say about his decision:

“I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family. After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen (Florida President), Jeremy Foley (Florida Athletic Director)and my doctors, I believe it’s in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family. I’m proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.”

Meyer has been coaching for 24 years, the last nine as a head coach, including two years at Utah before he arrived in Gainesville and two seasons at Bowling Green before that. Overall, Meyer has a record of 95-18 for a winning percentage of .841, the best among active coaches who have been coaching at least five years. He also tied former Alabama head coach Frank Thomas, as the fastest to reach 50 wins in SEC play (it took them both 59 games).

At this point it is unclear whether or not Meyer will coach the Gators in the Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati on January 1 (8:30 on FOX). The Bearcats are already without their head coach Brian Kelly who left the Big East school to take the head coaching job at the University of Notre Dame, a job that had been mentioned as a potential landing spot Meyer on multiple occasions.

Photo Courtesy of the SEC

0 Comments: