Friday, April 3, 2009

Q&A: Ron Brace, DT, Boston College

Boston College defensive tackle Ron Brace interviewed on All Access Football Radio's Football Friday Show with Ralph Mancini, Daniel Mogollon and Rodney Towe in our Defensive Linemen Special on March 27, 2009

A lot of people are projecting you to be a 3-4 nose tackle. Is that a position that you look forward to playing, being in that phone booth and being hit by multiple linemen coming from every direction—is that something you are looking forward to?

Brace:
I think I’m definitely getting ready for it. I mean, I think I’ve been ready for it throughout college. Now I just have to make that transition over to the pros next year. So it’s a position I’m used to playing. I got to play a lot of the one technique and sometimes at zero tech. So it’s not a position I’m unfamiliar with so I have no problem playing that.

You and B.J. Raji made a great team. Going forward, is there anyone in the NFL that reminds you of B.J., the way they play?

Brace:
B.J. is as effective in the run as he is in the pass. Probably a shorter Albert Haynesworth, maybe, because he has that pass threat in him.

Basically that’s the same thing B.J. said a few weeks ago. Ron, right now are you doing any private workouts and if so, who with? And do you have any coming up?

Brace:
I only had one private workout so far, with the Denver Broncos. Me and B.J. had it on the same day and that was the last private workout. Right now I’m getting ready for two visits. I have one with the Bucs and another one with the Saints.

You have shown a great first step and good hand technique. You can gain penetration in the gap. In your opinion, what is the most important quality or attribute to becoming a star nose tackle or defensive tackle?

Brace:
I think the thing is, you have to be real polished in your technique. When you get to the league everyone is talented, so it comes down to who has the right technique. I think having a really good, sound technique basically is the key to becoming a good pass rusher. That’s what I find myself working on in the off-season, watching film of myself. I need to use my hands more as weapons. I think that’s what separates the normal d-tackle from the elite d-tackle.

Also off the field Ron, I understand you do some work with troubled youth in your community. What are some of the lessons you try to impart to the kids who are in tough situations?

Brace:
I just tell them, basically, to make the right decision in life. Everybody knows deep down what the right decision is. Basically, if you have to second guess something, you know you shouldn’t be doing it. I try to leave the message to as many kids as possible, especially kids my brother's age, kids that are just getting out of high school.

Also, do you see yourself as a role model for kids, or is that too heavy of a cross to bear?

Brace:
Nobody can really choose to be a role model. It’s usually something that somebody’s just given because they have a younger person who looks up to them. I definitely like to see myself as a role model because I have three younger brothers who actually look up to me. So I’m already a role model and I have to keep my head on straight. That’s also what has helped me out in the long run.

You mentioned three younger brothers. Any future football players coming down the pike?

Brace:
I've got two younger brothers that are leaving high school. One is in Detroit playing football and the other one is in Springfield. One of them is going to Wayne State and the other one is looking at prep schools right now.

Do they follow in your footsteps in terms of being big guys? Are they defensive linemen?

Brace:
No. One of them is actually about my height but he’s real slim, he lives out in Detroit. My other one is a real short guy because he has a different mother, so he didn’t get that tall.

So you got the size from mom then?

Brace:
Yeah. I think it’s just a combination of my mom and dad helping me out with the size and strength part.

Let me ask you—we were talking cartoons with Ziggy (Hood) who was named after a cartoon. You mentioned when we spoke earlier in this draft process that you like to do art and watch cartoons because you like the artistic part of it. These days, when you're trying to kill some time or trying to rest up from a workout, what cartoons are you checking out?

Brace:
SpongeBob.

(Laughs) Is that the only one? To be honest, man, my wife likes SpongeBob and my daughter, who is two and a half, she loves SpongeBob too. So I’ve become tired of SpongeBob! They watch it over and over and over again, so I run out of the room if it’s on. They killed it for me already. Any other guys you are into?

Brace:
Really, I say SpongeBob right now because the hotel I’m staying in just has Nickelodeon. Usually I watch a lot of different types of cartoons. Anything from old Rugrats to Batman cartoons.

That’s good stuff. Now I know my man down there in Miami, Bryan Spector who’s producing the Big O Show and a new host on All Access Football Radio, said he can get you to sing the SpongeBob SquarePants song. If you get drafted by the Dolphins are you going to do that?

Brace:
(Laughs) Yeah, that’s a fact. I told him I’d do that.

We've got to figure something out then, where we could get you to do that. What could we put out there that would get you to come on our air and sing it?

Brace:
That’s a good question. I’d have to think about that. (pause) I don’t know. I’ll let you come up with that and get back to me on that.

How about this—if you get drafted before the Dolphins pick at 24, you come on our show and sing SpongeBob with us? It's win-win.

Brace:
I’ll do that. SpongeBob, you don’t have another request? You just want SpongeBob.

Well, I don’t know. What else could you do, give us your range.

Brace:
I usually just do the SpongeBob one because they think it's funny to hear the that song. What’s a cartoon theme song you like?

You know anything from Bob the Builder? (Laughs) That’s one of my favorites. I watch that with my little nephew all the time. Okay, let’s get back to football. Tell us about your man Mark Herzlich, a linebacker I like a lot who is going back to school. What should we expect from him next season at BC?

Brace:
I think you can come to expect big things from him this coming season. He has a tremendous work ethic. I see nothing but the sky as the limit for him. I’m also glad to see he decided to stay in school for his fourth year because a lot of kids don’t stay and earn their degree. So I think it’s a good sign of character, him coming back to finish out his last year of football for BC.

Also, I want to ask you—you met with a number of NFL people in these past couple of months. One of those meetings that really stood out was the one you had with Mean Joe Green. Can you describe how that went?

Brace:
I just remember we saw Mean Joe while I was heading to the Steelers room at the Combine. I was just meeting everybody that was there that time in the room. I can’t remember what Mean Joe asked me, specifically. I just remember my initial reaction when I realized it was Mean Joe Green.

Alright, Ron. Before we let you get out of here we like to do something we call three-and-out. We are going to ask you three quick questions. Ready?

Brace:
Yep.

First down: Favorite uniform in the NFL?

Brace:
Favorite uniform in the NFL? I’d say the Falcons right now for some reason.

Second down: Ron, baseball season is a couple of weeks away. Who is your favorite baseball player of all time?

Brace:
Since I’m not really that big of a baseball fan, I got two people I kind of like right now. Barry Bonds and Big Poppi (David Ortiz).

I like it when they call me Big Poppi. (Laughs)

Brace:
(Laughs)

OK, third down: Which competition would you do better in—Dancing With the Stars or American Idol?

Brace:
I think I would be good at Dancing With the Stars. I don’t have a chance on American Idol.

Photo Credit: College Press Box (Boston College)

0 Comments: