Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Q&A: Alex Magee, DT, Purdue

A versatile defensive lineman, Alex Magee spent his college days with the Boilermakers, plaguing offenses on the inside and outside and left and right side of the defense. For a lineman, Magee shows tremendous athleticism blocking kicks or intercepting passes while maintaining physicality at the point of attack. Join Player Spotlight host John Sears as he discusses Magee's career at Purdue and his preparations for next week's NFL Draft.

CLICK TO LISTEN

Judging by what I have seen from your Pro Day compared to the Combine, you have made some improvements, especially with your 40-time. What was the difference between the workouts?

Magee:
The Combine was real fun. I had fun competing against most of the top athletes in the nation. I think one thing that is different about the Combine compared to your Pro Day is that you don’t have to worry about all the other stuff. We had testing early in the mornings. At the Pro Day you get up and you have the whole day, which is just there for working out, no psychological tests. It was a great experience for me to get to hang around with the elite athletes in the nation going to the NFL Draft.

How do you think you measure up against the elite linemen from the Combine? Who do you think you are similar to?

Magee:
I think the defensive tackle class is very talented. When I was down at the Senior Bowl, I got to hang around B.J. Raji, Evander Hood, and others. I think we all bring a different style as far as our attributes are concerned. I think I bring more versatility to the table where I can do the outside as a defensive end or I can go from the inside…I’ve done it all on the defensive line, so I just feel they [NFL teams] can see me just not being in one spot. I can play basically down the whole front.

Is there any position you have the most fun playing?

Magee:
[laughs] I laugh because I get that question all the time. I guess if you ask me where I feel more comfortable I would say defensive tackle, because that’s where I have been playing the majority of my college career and all throughout high school. But I cross-train with defensive ends. I think my last season at Purdue I was 300 lbs, and I played that position at 300-lbs, defensive end…I’ve never been in steady training at defensive end, because I haven’t been there consistently. If I were to be there consistently, like I was at defensive tackle, I think I would adjust very well and very easily.

Where do you weigh in right now?

Magee:
Right now I am about 288-290.

Any feedback from NFL teams on where they would like to see your weight?

Magee:
I’ve asked teams where they'd like to see their players at as far as weight. With some of them it’s not a big issue—they asked me where I feel most comfortable playing. I think I feel most comfortable playing around 295. No lighter than 285 and no heavier than 305.

If you had it your way, what team would really excite you to play for?

Magee:
I would say...I grew up around Chicago and I like the Bears a lot. They have a great history, a great defense. I think I would want to play there and be in my hometown. It would be a real fun experience to play there. I actually talked to Coach Marinelli and he was really cool. I think the Bears would be a good fit for me. But I just want to get drafted. That’s my main goal.

Anyone you follow in the NFL? Someone you look up to?

Magee:
I don’t have a favorite player. Obviously everyone that plays football looks up to somebody that plays their position. Just to name a few: Tommie Harris, Tank Johnson, those guys on the Bears, they are great. DeMarcus Ware, my boy who used to play here at Purdue and is with the Cowboys now, Anthony Spencer.

Right, well I wasn’t expecting you to say you modeled your game after Robbie Gould, or Jason Elam, or Mike Vanderjagt. I haven’t heard someone say that someone they look up to in the NFL was someone outside their position.

Magee:
[laughs] Yeah, but you've got some professional guys like Brett Favre—he’s real smart, takes care of himself. You look up to those guys too. Those guys are smart, great football players.

Any players you are excited to line up against?

Magee:
Yeah, I wouldn’t mind putting a hit on Peyton Manning, I’m not going to lie [Sears laughs]. If I get the chance, obviously I am going to take it, but that would be something, just to see him. I’ve been in Indiana for quite some time and I have actually never met him. I understand he is a great football player, I just want to see what the hype’s all about. No, I want to just meet the guy, honestly.

You are potentially looking to work for the FBI once your football career is over. I’m curious because it’s kind of funny if you think about it, that you would be a 300-lb man out in the field, running down crooks.

Magee:
[laughs]

You would kind of be like Shaq, he’s a cop.

Magee:
Yeah, not quite as big and hopefully a little faster than Shaq. I don’t know. Maybe it will be a little easier. We won’t know until we see.

What do you like to do outside football?

Magee:
I don’t know, yesterday I just kind of kicked it with my homeboys here at school. Played some dominoes. That’s one thing I like to do. Fight Night Boxing on Playstation 3. I just like to chill and kick back and relax. And when I am home I am hanging with my family, my mom and my sister.

Or maybe hanging out at Harry’s [bar] a little bit?

Magee:
[laughs] What’s Harry’s? I don’t even know what Harry’s is.

Oh yeah, I don’t know either.

Magee:
[laughs]

Photo Credit: Purdue University Sports Information

0 Comments: