Friday, January 8, 2010

Q&A: Jordan Shipley Postgame

Texas Longhorns star wide receiver Jordan Shipley spoke with the media following the BCS Championship game. In his final game as a Longhorn, the senior caught 10 passes for 122 yards and two touchdowns.

What was going through your mind when Colt McCoy got hurt?


Well, I think all of us were definitely concerned when Colt went out. But I think the good thing is that Coach Davis spent so much time preparing here that he came in, and obviously started a little bit slow, but I can't imagine what it was like for him to be throwing there in the National Championship Game.

But I think Colt had an unbelievable career and Garrett played really well tonight.

After you scored the second touchdown, the two point conversion and got within three, were there thoughts of what happened five seasons ago going through your head as well as the rest of the team about the tremendous comeback?

I think everybody on our team believed that we were going to win the game, and it's been that way since I've been here. I think that's something that that team helped to establish was just that belief that we're going to win the game no matter what.

To come back from – especially at halftime with the play right before the half, and I'm just really proud of everybody, and I think we fought really hard and just came up a little short.

When did you all officially make the transition to the way Garrett threw the ball, because he obviously throws it a lot harder than Colt does. How difficult was it for you, and what pass do you think kind of turned it?

Well, I think both quarterbacks throw the ball really well, and I think both of them were capable of getting the job done tonight. You know, I think you've got to give a lot of credit to Garrett for coming in and playing as well as he did, especially in the second half. I was really impressed, and I think we were all really impressed.

What do you make of – Alabama will return a lot of guys next year. What do you make of their potential so to speak?

I think Alabama definitely is a great team, and I guess we've got a lot of respect for them, and I think they showed that they're definitely the best. With a lot of guys returning I'm sure they've got a chance to be really good again next year.

You've got to give a lot of credit to them for what they accomplished tonight, and it was a hard fought game.

Is it more empty feeling, the fact that you guys really don't know what would have happened because of Colt's injury? I mean, does this make it a tougher loss just because you'll really never know?

Well, I think there's always – with anything that happens in life, any loss, there's always things that you can look back on and wish they were different. But I think Sergio and I were talking about it, I think sometimes you've just got to look at all the ways you've been blessed. And I think we've been blessed in so many ways and just thankful for those. It was a great opportunity to be here, and we're thankful for that.

Photo Courtesy of Dennis Hubbard

0 Comments: